Trim /trɪm/ verb
1 a : to cut something off something else : to remove something by cutting — often + away, from, or off
- She trimmed away the dead branches.
- She trimmed the fat from/off the meat.
1 b : to make something neat by cutting it
- He trimmed his mustache.
- The hedges need to be trimmed.
2 : to make the size, amount, or extent of something smaller
- They are looking for ways to trim the budget.
3 : to decorate something especially around the edges with ribbons, ornaments, etc.
- We trimmed the Christmas tree.
- a pillow trimmed in/with lace
4 : to adjust a boat’s sails in order to move faster
- The sailors trimmed the sails.
— trimmer /ˈtrɪmɚ/ noun, plural trimmers [count]
- a mustache trimmer