petition /pəˈtɪʃən/ noun
1 : a written document that people sign to show that they want a person or organization to do or change something
- They collected 2,000 signatures on a petition demanding that women be allowed to join the club.
- Would you like to sign our petition?
2 a : a formal written request made to an official person or organization
- We presented a petition to the legislature to change the law.
2 b law : a formal written request to have a legal case decided by a court
- She filed a petition for divorce.
- They’ve denied your petition.
3 formal : a prayer or request to God or to a very powerful person or group
- We ask you to hear our petition.