inspect /ɪnˈspɛkt/ verb
1 : to look at something carefully in order to learn more about it, to find problems, etc.
- The border guard inspected their passports.
- She had the car inspected by a mechanic before she bought it.
- The candles are inspected for damage/defects before being packaged.
- After the storm, we went outside to inspect the damage.
2 : to officially visit a school, hospital, etc., in order to see if rules are being followed and things are in their proper condition
- He inspected the soldiers’ barracks.
- inspecting a restaurant for health code violations