initiate /ɪˈnɪʃiˌeɪt/ verb
1 formal : to cause the beginning of (something) : to start or begin (something)
- initiate a new project
- Doctors have initiated a series of tests to determine the cause of the problem.
- The company initiated judicial proceedings against them.
2 to formally accept (someone) as a member of a group or organization usually in a special ceremony
- The new recruits will be initiated tomorrow night.
- He was initiated into a secret society.
3 to teach (someone) the basic facts or ideas about something — usually + into
- They initiated her into the ways of the corporate world.
— initiator /ɪˈnɪʃiˌeɪt̬ɚ/ noun
- the initiator of the project