hollow /ˈhɑloʊ/ adjective
1 : having nothing inside : not solid
- a hollow log
2 : curved inward or down
- hollow cheeks
- There was a hollow spot in the field.
3 : not having real value or meaning
- They achieved a hollow victory over a team missing its best players.
- She made hollow
- Their threats ring hollow. = Their threats have a hollow ring.
4 : Note — A sound that is hollow is like the sound made when you hit something that is empty inside.
- He heard a hollow sound when he knocked on the wall.
5 : weak and without any emotion
- “It’s useless,” he said in a hollow voice.
- a hollow laugh
hollowly adverb /ˈhɑləli/
- “It’s useless,” he said hollowly.
hollowness noun [noncount]
- the hollowness of her promises