Applaud /əˈplɑd/ verb
1 : to strike the hands together over and over to show approval or praise
- The audience stood and applauded [=clapped] at the end of the show.
- Everyone applauded the graduates as they entered the auditorium.
- The audience stood and applauded her performance.
2 [+ object] : to express approval of or support for (something or someone)
- They applauded [=praised] the change in policy.
- We applaud the decision to lower taxes.
- I applaud their efforts to clean up the city, but they must do more.