outlet /ˈaʊtˌlɛt/ noun
1 : something that people use to express their emotions or talents
- emotional/artistic outlets
— often + for
- She used poetry as an outlet for her sadness.
- They needed a healthy outlet for their anger.
- an outlet for his talents
2 : a store that sells products made usually by one company and often at reduced prices
- designer clothing outlets
- a discount furniture outlet
- retail outlets
- outlet stores
3 : a television, radio, or publishing company
- media/news outlets
- a cable TV outlet
4 : a device in a wall into which an electric cord can be plugged in order to provide electricity for a lamp, television, etc.
- electrical outlets
- a wall outlet
5 : a place or opening through which something can go out
- an outlet for the air to escape
- the river’s outlet to the sea