deny /dɪˈnaɪ/ verb
1 a : to say that something is not true
- He denied the report that he would be quitting his job.
- She denies all the charges that have been made against her.
- I don’t deny that I have made some mistakes. [=I admit that I have made some mistakes]
b : to refuse to accept or admit (something)
- You can’t deny her beauty. = You can’t deny that she is beautiful.
- She denied responsibility [=she said that she was not responsible] for the error.
2 : to refuse to give (something) to someone : to prevent someone from having or receiving (something)
- The banks denied [=refused] them credit.
- The judge denied their request.
- I don’t want to deny them this pleasure. = I don’t want to deny this pleasure to them.
- a government that denies its citizens basic freedoms